Never Saw It Coming…Really?
I remember an Austin employer who was concerned about the optics of a 300-person layoff. This was back in the day when our go-go economy gave everyone a sense of ease.
The company announced layoffs 6 months out, 3 months out, 1 month out and 1 week out. They set up a Career Center with coaches like myself to help the people who got the ax. The common reaction:
“I never saw it coming.”
Really? If you are awake to your LIFE, you see these things coming. Here are the warning signs:
- You’re not that busy at work.
- You aren’t invited to important meetings.
- Your boss is avoiding contact.
- Your company is downsizing.
- Your job is posted online.
- There are new consultants or contractors working in your department.
- You’re on probation.
If we’re honest, we don’t see it coming because we don’t want to believe – that it’s happening to us.
What can you do?
- Be proactive. Sit down with your supervisor and discuss your fears. Find out the truth and resolve issues, if they can be resolved. If the fault is not yours, then accept that the situation is beyond your control, OR the control of your supervisor.
- Step up your game. Go above and beyond to give excellent performance. Even if you end up terminated, you will have a better feeling about your job, and you can apply confidently for the next one.
- Screw up your courage. Yes, it might all be one big misunderstanding. Maybe you were set up for failure. Maybe personal circumstances got in the way of doing a great job. Change is hard, but you COULD end up in a much better place.
- Get support. At these times, you need someone who is your consultant, coach and cheerleader. It’s NOT your spouse. Go for a professional who will help you reframewhat has happened, reposition for the future, and revitalizeyour efforts.
- Get moving. Start NOW by updating your resume and preparing for the next move. It takes the average American 7.2 months to find a new position. So, get to it. Ask for help while you still have an income.
On your side,
The Career Passion® Coach
PS: A group of courageous job seekers are working toward new jobs for 2018. My goal is to cut the time it takes to 90 days or less. You can join us! Consider Right Job Right Now. The price will never be better. Check out Friday’s webinar here.
Or, if you are ready, register here. For a limited time, you get a free Resume Makeover, a $797 value.
Categories: , , , , , , , , ,